If your V5C logbook has been defaced, damaged, or lost, you may need to order a replacement from the DVLA before buying, trading, or taking out a “logbook loan” against your vehicle.

It’s essential to order a replacement logbook as swiftly as possible once you notice it’s missing or damaged.

What Is A V5C Logbook?

A V5C logbook is arguably the most important document that comes with your car. It includes all the vital information you need and acts as proof of ownership.

In addition to your details as the car’s current owner, the V5C logbook will also include other important information such as:

  • Details and contact information for the registered keeper of the car.
  •  A description of the vehicle, including the make, model, and even colour.
  • The number of previous registered keepers the car has had.
  • The car’s VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).
  • Contact forms that you can use to notify the DVLA of any vehicle or owner changes.

How Do I Get A Replacement Logbook?

A replacement V5C logbook costs just £25. You’ll need to apply directly via the DVLA for a replacement.

While it’s not currently possible to request a replacement logbook online, you can easily download a logbook application form (known as a V62) to print off and complete at home.

You’ll need to send this form along with a cheque or postal order for the £25 fee. The cheque needs to be payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea.’

You can also apply for a new V5C logbook over the phone by calling 0300 790 6802 and pay over the phone. The DVLA Contact page contains all the information you need to do this, including their opening hours.

At the time of writing, you can also contact the DVLA regarding a lost logbook via email or webchat using their official website’s links.

Can I Sell S Car Without A Logbook?

Although it is legal to sell a vehicle even if you’ve lost the logbook, it’s strongly advisable to order a new one and wait for it to arrive before you sell.

As the logbook acts as an official proof of ownership, not having one can suggest to buyers that the vehicle may be stolen. Most second-hand car dealers won’t accept a vehicle if the owner cannot produce a logbook, and potential buyers are likely (and entitled) to haggle hard on the price.

What’s more, if you sell a vehicle without promptly updating the logbook details, you put yourself at risk of being responsible for any penalties the new owner incurs.

What Happens If I Buy A Car Without A Logbook?

Usually, you will be given a green ‘new keeper’ slip when you buy any vehicle. This slip confirms that you are the car’s new owner until you receive your new logbook.
It’s the previous owners’ responsibility to request the change of ownership for the vehicle.

They can do this by completing an online form with the DVLA or posting sections of the old V5C into the DVLA. The new logbook will automatically be generated and sent to you in the mail once the process is complete.

If you have the green slip for your new vehicle, but the owner hasn’t requested a new V5C logbook on your behalf, you will be able to apply to the DVLA via post for a new one without having to pay the £25 fee.

If you have brought a car but haven’t even been provided with the green slip, and the seller doesn’t have the old logbook details required to contact the DVLA, you can use a V62 form to request a new logbook. In this instance, you will need to pay the £25 replacement V5C document fee.

Can I Tax Or Drive My Vehicle Without The Logbook?

If you have the green new keeper slip but haven’t received the new V5C Logbook yet, you can use the details from the green document to tax your car in the meantime.

If you have lost your logbook and new keeper slip and haven’t filled out an application for a replacement yet, you will need to apply for a new logbook and tax your vehicle simultaneously. Your local participating Post Office will be able to assist you with this.

To tax your vehicle online, you’ll need the 11-digit reference number from the V5C form, or the 12-digit reference number from the green slip, or a V11 reminder letter. If you don’t have at least one of these identifiers, you will not be able to tax your vehicle.

If you can’t tax your car, you’ll need to declare it “off-road” by submitting a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). It’s illegal to drive an untaxed vehicle, and tax cannot transfer when ownership changes, so it’s vital to either tax your car or submit a SORN as soon as possible.

How Long Does It Take To Get A New Logbook?

If you’ve lost your V5C Logbook or notice substantial damage to the document, you might think it’s the end of the world! But getting a replacement logbook is quick and easy.
Naturally, the time it takes to receive your new logbook will vary (particularly if you apply via mail). Still, as a general guide, applications over the phone should see your new logbook arrive in around one week. Postal applications generally take 2-6 weeks.